Russian church in Suzdal, near Moscow. Oil/cardboard. Signed lower left in Cyrillic and on reverse, inscribed in Cyrillic “Suzdal” on reverse. . 14 x 10". Listed as “Suzdal. White Church” in Roerich N.K. Text by S. Ernst. St-Petersburg, St. Eugeni, 1918, p.113. Authenticity confirmed by New York Roerich Museum (Director of Museum Mr. Daniel Entin e-mail of 07.12.2004) and by the Department "Roerich Inheritance" of The Moscow State Museum of the East (Senior Scientific Researcher Dr. D. Popov) 01.06.2013 - see COA attached. Exhibited: “Monuments of Ancient Art,” Society of Art Encouragement, Petersburg, January 1904. Similar view is in State Museum of Oriental Art, Moscow and is published in “Moscow 1900-1930”, Text by S. Fauchereau, Rizzoli New York, p14, ill #9 [ One of 75 studies of Russian churches, which Roerich has done during his travel in Russian ancient towns in summer 1903.All of them had been exhibited in January 1904 in Society of Art Encouragement, Petersburg (exhibition “Monuments of Ancient Art”) and partly later same year in USA, where they have been sold from the auction.
Part of them was later(1974) returned in Russia as a gift by K. Campbell-Stibbe, then honorable president of Roerich Museum New York – see Roerich in Peterburg – Petrograd by L. Korotkina, Lenizdat 1985, pp 118-119.]. The slide shows of about 50 of these works are now available on Roerich Museum (NY) website. In original Victorian painted and parcel gilt altar-piece frame with a head of a saint at the cresting and phoenixes at the sides (provenance for the frame: sale 6.18.03, Doyle NY, lot 428.)
Shadow of the Teacher. Charcoal, chalk and watercolor on paper laid on cardboard, initialed l.r. in Cyrillic, 6 ¼ x 9 7/8 inch. . Bears numbers 47 (33) and half-destroyed exhibition label on the back. This is a study for bigger painting “His Shadow”, 1932, 74,5x117,5, tempera, canvas, Russia, Moscow, Tretiakov Gallery, #518. Provenance: Roerich New York Museum (according to RM inventory list, it was ”Sold to Mrs. K. S. C. Dec 15, 1933 $100”). In original XIX century Russian tabernacle-style hand-carved gilded frame, with upper part mimicking Orthodox church cupola, plain sloping predella imitating the church porch and flanking Russian church style pilasters
Pines in Karelia. Oil on paper, signed low right in Cyrillic and dated 1901, 16x12 inches. Provenance: Collection Armand Daillot, Paris ( bears stamp on reverse). Listed as “Pines” pp 90, 118 in “Roerich N.K.” Text by S. Ernst. St-Petersburg, St. Eugeni, 1918, p.113 Exhibited: “A Time to Gather… Russian Art From Foreign Private collections”, State Russian Museum, Saint-Petersburg, February-June 2008, Moscow - Exhibition Center "Tsaritsyno", June-July 2008, Palace Editions,2008, illustrated in the catalog p. 121 ill 77; illustrated in Русское Искусство magazine Moscow, 2015 v4 p 89. [“Karelia, with its unique nature and individual pictiresqueness, attracted Roerich. He saw something primitive and severe in its cliffs and pine forests, and that made the artist use simple and modest artistic techniques. This landscape dates back to the “boundary” period of Roerich’s life, when he trued to find his own unique style, developing from his teacher Arkhip Kuindzhi’s manner. He spent the summer of 1907 in Finland with his family. There he made not only symbolic compositions, bur sketches as well. In this picture, the composition and painting techniques of which are in naturalistic style, Roerich seems more to fix the visible qualities of nature, rather then trying to create some specific artistic effect.”] In original hand carved gilded French tabernacle frame end of XIX century
CLOUDS. Pastel and tempera on board, signed with monogram and dated 1919 low right; numbered #72 in Roerich’s handwriting on the back; 21 x26 inches. In the blackened wooden frame evidently selected by the artist himself with title label on it. Exhibited: ВЫСТАВКА ГРУППЫ РУССКИХ ХУДОЖНИКОВ, ДЕЙСТВИТЕЛЬНЫХ ЧЛЕНОВ И УЧАСТНИКОВ «МИРА ИСКУССТВА». Париж, Осенний салон. 1 ноября – 20 декабря 1921 г. Salon d’Automne. Section: Groupe des Artistes russes, membres et exposants de la Société «Mir Iskousstva». Paris, 1922 #72 of the catalog - see photo below of the exhibition room with our painting shown on the wall up left. Authenticity confirmed by New York Roerich Museum (Senior Researcher Gvido Trepsa 07.12.2012) and by the department "Roerich Inheritance" of The Moscow State Museum of the East (Senior Scientific Researcher D. Popov) 01.06.2013 - see COA attached.
The Monastery Alexander Newsky in Suzdal. Oil on wood. 31 x 40cm. Framed in original frame evidently selected by the artist.
Verso: Several old adhesive labels on the panel:
- Louisiana Purchase Exposition, St. Louis 1904 (#420 in the catalog)
- Brandeis University Art Collection, Waltham, Massachusetts with the inventory no. 1971.692 R
- U.S. customs note.
Mr. Gvido Trepsa of the Roerich Museum in New York has been presented a photo of this painting in November 2014 and he confirmed the attribution to Roerich via e-mail.
About seventy of the architecture studies Roerich made while travelling Russia around 1903 were afterwards exhibited in St. Louis, Missouri. The present work is listed under catalogue number 420 and it has been acquired by the New York Roerich Museum together with six more "Studies from Old Russia" in 1931. Since 1935 the work was in private ownership and subsequently it was in several American museums as a loan. Amongst others it was exhibited in the Brandeis University Collection, Waltham, Massachusetts in 1971. Provenance: Van Ham auction, Cologne, sale 15.05.2015 lot 789